BC Express review scores as of 8/22/22
Is Indoor Air Quality a Concern During Colder Weather?
BC Express review scores as of 10/20/23
If you have seasonal allergies, you know that the spring and fall seasons can be unbearable. But, once the cooler weather sets in, should you be concerned about the indoor air quality, or IAQ, in your home? The short answer is, yes. Even though you won’t be dealing with allergens like pollen and mold as much, there are other reasons why your home’s IAQ may suffer when the cooler temperatures move in.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the reasons why your home’s indoor air quality can worsen during the winter months. We’ll talk about some of the ways you can improve your home’s IAQ, and how BC Express can help you breathe easier, no matter what time of year it is. Keep reading to learn more!
5 Reasons Why Your IAQ Can Suffer During the Colder Months
If you’re concerned about your home’s indoor air quality, the good news is that there are many products available that can help you, no matter what the time of year. Below are some issues that could cause poor IAQ during the cooler months, and the products that can help:
- Your heating system. You need your home’s heating system to stay warm and comfortable once the cooler weather sets in. But, when your heating system is running frequently, it can dry out the air. Dry air can cause itchy, flaky skin, nasal and eye discomfort, and give you a dry, scratchy throat. If you notice that the air in your home is excessively dry, you may need to consider installing a humidifier.
- Particles in the air. During cooler weather, your home is more closed off than it might be during the summer months. Particles like dust and pet dander (both of which are major allergens) can circulate through the air, repeatedly. Air cleaners can help filter out these particles, providing you with cleaner, fresher indoor air.
- Viruses and bacteria. Anyone who has school-aged children knows that during the cooler months, there are many different viruses and bacterial infections that circulate through the family. Colds, flu, and conditions like bronchitis and strep throat all become more of a problem when people are in close quarters. Fortunately, products like air scrubbers are made to help mitigate these pathogens.
- Stale air. As we mentioned before, people are less likely to get fresh air flow in their homes when the temperatures dip down outside. Today’s homes are much tighter than homes in the past, and while that can help with energy efficiency, it can also cause the air in the home to become stale. Stale air can make your home uncomfortable, and probably smelly, too. Ventilators help by bringing fresh air into the home and preconditioning it to match your indoor air temperature.
- The holidays. There’s no place like home for the holidays, but that can also mean more traffic in and out of your home. Friends and family members might bring unwanted “gifts” in the form of illness, cigarette smoke, pet dander, and more into your home during this time of year, and that can cause poor indoor air quality. Many indoor air quality products can help keep your home’s air clean and keep those unwanted allergens and bugs at bay.
BC Express can help you improve your IAQ all year long.
No matter the season, at BC Express we are always looking out for your home comfort. We offer a complete lineup of indoor air quality products that can help keep the air in your home fresh and clean all year round. To learn more about the variety of indoor air quality services and products we offer in Toms River and Central New Jersey, simply give us a call at 732-240-2828. We will provide you with the best products, along with expert installation services that help ensure your home is comfortable and your indoor air is clean, no matter the season.
Get an Estimate