BC Express review scores as of 8/22/22
Heating Repair 101: Know the Signs for All Types of Systems
BC Express review scores as of 1/22/24
Nobody wants to think about their heating system going on the fritz during the holiday season. The thought of a chilly home and a furnace, boiler, or heat pump that needs repairs during the most wonderful time of the year can certainly make anyone feel like a Scrooge. Fortunately, there are signs every type of heating system gives before breaking down completely.
In this article, we’ll outline the signs you might see if your heating system needs to be repaired, whether you have a furnace, boiler, or heat pump installed in your home. And, we’ll explain how BC Express can keep you and your family comfy and cozy, no matter how chilly it might get outside. Keep reading below to learn more!
Signs Your Heating System Might Need Repairs
Not sure how to tell if your home’s heating system might be headed for a breakdown? Here are some of the signs each type of heating system may give:
Most homes in the Northeastern part of the United States use furnaces for heat. Furnaces operate by combustion, burning fuel to heat the air that then is circulated throughout your home by a series of ductwork. There are several signs furnaces may give if they need repair, including:
- Strange odors: If you notice that your furnace smells strongly of fuel or emits a burning rubber or plastic smell when it runs, it likely needs repairs. There could be a leak, or some components inside your system may have become displaced or corroded.
- Inadequate heating: Furnaces that are not heating your home adequately should be checked out by a technician. There could be several issues at play, many of which do not have to do with a problem with the furnace itself, such as ductwork leaks or a faulty thermostat.
- Unusual noises: Furnaces make noise when they run, but if you start to hear unusual noises coming from your furnace, like banging or squealing, there is likely to be an issue that needs to be addressed. There may be belt or fan issues or broken internal components.
The second most popular choice for home heating in the Northeast is boiler systems. Boilers work by heating water and sending it through pipes to room radiators. Generally, they use a fuel source like gas or oil. Here are a few signs that your boiler may need repair:
- Strange sounds: If you start to hear a clunking or clanging sound coming from your equipment, it’s likely there’s a problem. There could be an issue with your boiler’s pump, or there could be sediment buildup in your boiler that’s causing operational issues.
- Leaks: If you notice water pooling near your unit, or leaks on the boiler itself, it should be addressed right away. Not only will you find yourself without heat, but the area surrounding your boiler will suffer from water damage as well.
- Radiator issues: If your radiators are taking a long time to heat up, or aren’t heating up at all, it’s important to have your boiler checked out right away. Your boiler may be running inefficiently, or the radiators may need to be bled and flushed.
Over the past few years, heat pumps have been gaining popularity in the Northeast. Modern technology now allows heat pumps to provide efficient heating even in colder climates. If you suspect your heat pump isn’t working properly, here are a few signs that you may notice:
- Not heating: Most heat pump systems work to heat your home in the winter and cool it during the summer. If it is not providing heat, there may be issues with the reversing valve or refrigerant levels. Or, it could simply be that the air filter is extremely dirty and needs cleaning.
- Constant operation: If your heat pump never stops running, you will want to have it checked out by a technician. While heat pumps often run more than normally during extremely chilly weather, there may be issues with the thermostat or compressor.
- Foul odors: Most often, people notice a musty smell – that means your system may have mold growing in it. If there is a rotten odor, a rodent or bird may have climbed into your system and perished. A burning plastic odor may indicate a problem with the system’s wiring.
How can BC Express help me get the heating services I need?
No matter what type of heating system you own, BC Express can provide you with the expert furnace, boiler, or heat pump repairs you need. Our technicians can troubleshoot your system effectively and provide you with prompt repair services so you can enjoy the holidays in comfort and joy. Just give us a call at 732-240-2828. We’ll be happy to schedule an appointment with you and get your heating system up and running again.
Get an Estimate