BC Express review scores as of 8/22/22
Give Your Heating System a Little Love this Winter
BC Express review scores as of 10/20/23
During the winter months, you rely on your home’s heating system to help keep you and your family comfortable and warm. That likely means that during those chillier days, your heating system operates more frequently, and that can lead to wear and tear on your equipment. There are ways you can help your heating equipment run more effectively and efficiently this winter and for years to come, however, and some are easy enough for most homeowners to do on their own.
Of course, you should get professional maintenance annually for your equipment as the first step in making sure it is operating properly and lasts. Heating equipment that has been regularly maintained performs better, lasts longer, and often doesn’t require the extensive repairs that neglected systems often face. What’s more, when you get annual maintenance, your equipment warranty will stay in place – most manufacturers require regular maintenance in order to keep the warranty intact.
There are ways you can help your heating equipment run better and last longer, too.
While professional maintenance is very important, there are a few steps you can take on your own to ensure that your heating system runs at its best and most efficient this winter and for many years to come. Learn more below!
- Make sure your thermostat is working properly. It might not seem like a big deal, but your thermostat is the hub of your home comfort system. If it isn’t operating the right way, then it could be causing undue damage to your heating system. If you have an older thermostat, you may wish to replace it with a programmable or smart model, as they can help your system operate more efficiently and ultimately save you money.
- Check your filters regularly. If you have a forced-air heating system, it will have a filter that the air moves through. If your filter is clogged with dirt and dust, it makes it all the more difficult for your heating system to move the heated air throughout your home. Your heating system will have to work harder, making it less efficient and adding to the wear and tear it already experiences from daily use.
- Keep the space around your furnace open. Most people’s furnace systems are in their basements, which is also where people like to store things. However, it’s important to maintain ample space around your heating system. Not only does it help it operate more efficiently and effectively, but it also helps maintain safety.
- Give your heating system a break. While we don’t recommend turning your heating system off on chilly days, there are other ways you can help your home stay warmer. Making sure the air is humidified is one way, as well as ensuring that your home has the proper levels of insulation. Also, check your doors and windows to make sure there is no cold outdoor air coming inside through any cracks. If you do notice a draft, apply weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Keep your registers clean. Unfortunately, dirt and debris can get into your registers, clogging them up and making it harder for the air to move freely through them. Regularly wipe down your registers with a damp, soft cloth. Occasionally removing them and vacuuming around the duct space can also be helpful. Additionally, make sure any furniture or larger objects aren’t blocking your registers.
If you need help with your heating, remember to call BC Express.
Whether you need heating system maintenance, repair, or a new installation, you can count on the professionals at BC Express to help you. The comfort of you and your family is always our number one priority, and we want to help you stay warm and toasty all winter long, no matter what the temperature outside is like. If you need help with your home heating, just give us a call at (723)240-2828, and we’ll be happy to schedule an appointment with you.
Get an Estimate