BC Express review scores as of 8/22/22
Fall Energy Efficiency 101
BC Express review scores as of 10/20/23
Once the fall season rolls around, many people start thinking about how to make their homes more energy-efficient. During this time of year, energy usage can increase for many different reasons. For instance, indoor and outdoor lighting needs to go on earlier as the days grow shorter. And, it’s likely that soon, you will need to switch on your home’s heating system.
With these things in mind, you should know that there are still a few ways you can conserve energy this fall. In this article, we will talk about ways you can save energy in your home and enjoy better comfort in the process. And, we will tell you how BC Express can help you get the fall maintenance you need to keep your home heating system running smoothly and efficiently. Keep reading to learn more!
Six Tips for Improving Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Here are just a few ways you can improve your home’s energy efficiency this fall:
- Check windows and doors for drafts. Drafty windows and doors can cause your home’s HVAC system to work harder than it needs to, and that can lead to higher energy usage. Usually, you can easily find the items you need to seal drafty spots, such as caulk and weatherstripping, at your local home improvement store.
- Switch out old lightbulbs with LED bulbs. You might be surprised to learn that, according to the Department of Energy, LED lightbulbs use up to 95% less energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent lightbulbs. So, while they may be a bit more expensive than traditional bulbs, replacing your old lightbulbs with LEDs will save you money in the long run.
- Replace old power strips with smart strips. Smart power strips are a great choice for your electronics. Older power strips continue to sap small amounts of energy (which can add up over time) even when plugged-in devices are not in use. Smart strips automatically shut off that energy flow, keeping your TVs, computers, entertainment center, and game consoles from using power when not in use.
- Consider improving home insulation. Having the proper amount of insulation in your home can keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. That’s because the conditioned air stays inside where it belongs, and the hot or cold air from outdoors can’t get inside the home as easily. That means your HVAC system won’t have to work as hard or use as much energy.
- Change ceiling fans to clockwise rotation. During the summer months, you will want your ceiling fans to rotate in a counterclockwise direction to push the heat up toward the ceiling and out of your living space. However, when the cold weather returns, changing your ceiling fans to a clockwise rotation pulls the warm air down into your living space, helping you and your family stay toasty.
- Change your HVAC filter. Your HVAC system’s filter works hard to keep your heating and cooling equipment free of dust and dirt. Because of the wear and tear it receives, you should change it frequently. A clean filter can help your system operate much more effectively and efficiently. And, don’t forget to have a professional technician maintain your heating equipment this fall – annual maintenance is one of the best ways to keep your system running smoothly.
How can BC Express help me get fall heating maintenance?
This tip is easy – all you need to do is call us at 732-240-2828, and we will be more than happy to help you get the maintenance you need for your home’s heating system. Give us a call today and schedule your fall heating maintenance appointment!
Get an Estimate